Sports keep us fit, healthy and happy. Yet if you find yourself really wanting to like the mainstream sports but always failing to do so, then these new sports should catch your eye. There’s never any shortage of ideas to make new sports, but very rarely will you find one that sticks. Not to mention, sports are costly. You cannot learn how to play tennis at a decent level without hours and hours of expensive lessons. So a new sport has to be affordable, fun and easy to pick up. These are some of those that fit the bill.
A new sport called Earthing, has you run across a track for a set distance such as 50 meters and then you will swim for 15 or 20 meters. This is a sport that does require you to go to specific fields where it is being hosted. The pool is only about 4-5 feet deep, deep enough to swim in but nothing too challenging.
This is how it is played.
- The player will be in a bathing suit, which is kind of like a swimming suit but without the arms and the suit only goes down to the knees or shins.
- You have to stay in your lane. The runner must always observe the lines and never obstruct another runner.
- The players will be barefoot, so you better learn how to run without shoes or socks.
- The swimming element is done only on the straight parts of the oval track.
- Complete the set distance or number of laps.
Perhaps the most popular new game is cornhole. Some say that it’s always been a game that has been played by rural communities. However, not everyone is from the rural parts of the country and they haven’t heard of it either. However, cornhole is getting some sponsorship and live TV coverage. It’s incredibly simple to play too.
- Each player has about 4-6 corn bags
- There is a board that stands with a hole at the top. They are slanted toward the thrower.
- The players must stand 27 feet away from the boards.
- Each player takes their turn to throw their bags and tries to get as many of them as they can on the board.
- The first to 21 bags in the hole, wins the game.
Pickleball is going to look pretty familiar to you when you see it. It’s a merger of tennis, badminton and ping pong. This sport is played on a badminton court with two to four players. It’s a lot like tennis in that, just two bounces off the ball on the floor, gives a point to the other team. However, it’s a lot like ping pong in that you must have more than 2 points over your opponent to win, but this is only triggered after you score 11 points. It’s a lot like badminton because the court is exactly the same and the scoring lines and areas are the same too.
- The court is 20 feet by 44 feet.
- The net is 36 inches high, 2 inches less than traditional badminton.
- The space either side of the court is a no-volley zone. It’s called the kitchen, no one really knows why. Much like ping pong, you cannot hit a volley in this zone.
- You must use a pickleball paddle. It’s large, rectangular and has a shorter grip than a tennis or badminton racket.
- The game is played with a regulation standard pickleball ball.
- The server must call out his serve, stand behind the white line and only hiit it with an underhand swing.
It’s incredibly fun. Here are the best beginner pickleball paddles you can choose from. Because the paddles don’t use nets you can have any number of designs. Pick your team colors, make a custom build or pick a bat that fits your personality.
It’s very much the same as golf, except that you don’t have any limitations on the amount of shots you can take. The aim is to finish the holes as fast as you can. This will inevitably mean that you have to finish the course quicker than your opponent. You won’t be playing at the same time, you’ll just be set against the clock. Here is how you play.
- Just like normal golf, you have access to any number of clubs.
- The timer will begin when you make your first shot.
- You have to get to the ball yourself, you cannot use a golf cart.
- So you better be fit to get to your ball before the timer runs out.
- The next player will begin his or her shot when the first has finished the hole or run out of time.
- It’s up to the players involved as to how much time each player has.
This game can be tricky if not done properly. For example, you should be careful when trying to hit the ball out of water and sandpits. You will be tired from the run and the clock will be ticking. So be warned, it’s a lot harder than it looks.
The pandemic has shown us that nothing can replace the beauty of going outdoors and enjoying life. One of the better sports to arise from the current situation is orienteering. You will be given a map and a compass, and you need to find your way to the various checkpoints that have been agreed by the organizers. Don’t worry, there will be overwatchers who will prevent players from getting lost. You’ll also wear a GPS tag so they can keep track of you.
- Each player is given the same map. It will have markers on it, regarding the checkpoints you need to reach.
- The compasses will also be given out, but you can bring your own.
- You have to turn off your phone, or hand it to someone you trust. No cheating!
- If you ever feel lost, you can press your GPS tag and wait for someone in an ATV to come and collect you.
- There will be a time limit to every game, so you will be searched for if you don’t press the tag at the agreed time when the game is over.
It used to be that only the rich could play polo. It is played on horseback and on a field, so you need to be a little on the affluent side to be able to afford it. However, bike polo is played on your own personal bike, with your own helmet and gloves, except you get given a polo stick.
- Each team has to hit the ball between the other’s team’s posts.
- Much like the normal polo, injuries can happen accidentally, but careless swings will award the other team a set piece if a player is injured.
- The game is played on concrete rather than grass.
- There are 4 people on each team.
- The referee stands off the field and will give commands using his voice and hands.
Bike polo is great fun and requires a lot of balance. Sometimes the play depends on your skills on the bike, other times it requires you to have a great hand and eye coordination to strike the ball well with long polo sticks.
There are various new fun sports you can try this year. Some of them are variations of current sports and others are just totally new. Which one of these do you think you want to try the most?