The NFL has a weird draft process. And sometimes GMs and head coaches will take a player off their draft board for the most odd, and minimal things, although some might be a bigger concern for an NFL Draft prospect. A recent reddit post highlighted the dumbest (and some spot on) red flags for NFL prospects throughout the years. With the 2021 NFL Draft on Thursday, here are some of our favorites:
- Mike Singletary took Matthew Stafford off his draft board because Stafford didn’t want to talk about his parents’ divorce
- D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s commitment to football was questioned because he enjoyed playing saxophone as a hobby
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie only had one kidney and there was some concern about his ability to play a contact sport
- Aaron Hernandez kind of maybe participated in a drive by shooting while at UF
- Jadeveon Clowney stole a TV the year before he went to college at Carolina
- Cam Newton stole a laptop
Whoa, Cam Newton. You're playing well. But you have a long way to go until you can make laptop jokes. pic.twitter.com/z2KyY5WiP9
— The Pickle (@sportspickle) October 28, 2015
- The Honeybadger smoked weed
Flashbacks to when the Panthers passed on the Honey Badger just because he smoked a lil weed in college https://t.co/CnpaNCjm7u
— K e n n ?? (@Kenn_Kaii) April 23, 2021
- JJ Watt was a bad pick because he is too nice and he worked as a pizza deliveryman, and that the Texans should have drafted Nick Fairley because he is mean and trained for the draft in Houston.
- Tampa Bay had someone sit in Justin Blackmon’s favorite bar every day to see how often he came in to drink. After Blackmon kept coming in, they took him off their board.
- Myles Garrett’s commitment/toughness was questioned because he liked dinosaurs
- Dan Marino had a coke habit.
- Eli Apple can’t cook
- Somebody asked Alvin Kamara to take out his septum piercing during a combine interview because it was disrespectful or something.
On the latest episode of Pod That the Jarjour Brothers (707) co-founders & brothers, George & Sami Jarjour discussed NFL Draft Red Flags, and more… which can be played on Spotify below, or here for all other platforms:
Mike Singletary took Matthew Stafford off his draft board because Stafford didn't want to talk about his parents' divorce…
A thread: pic.twitter.com/cCZ12I0u9B
— the Sports ON Tap (@thesportsontap) April 29, 2021
- Trevor Lawrence – Not competitive because football doesn’t define him?
Trevor Lawrence showing why he’s projected to be the No. 1 pick ? @brgridiron
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) February 12, 2021
- Zach Wilson – Too short and bad competition.
- Mac Jones – DUI
I really want the 49ers to go with Mac Jones pic.twitter.com/cvXvXsTKdW
— Sami Jarjour (@SamiOnTap) April 27, 2021
- Kyle Pitts – Alient…. (seriously though drops passes? Maybe not best blocker)
- Trey Lance – North Dakota state not best competition
- Justin Fields – Hiccups against some big games and got beat out by Jake Fromm in Georgia
- Devonta Smith – Small for WR despite winning Heisman
- Penei Sewell – “his floor is concerning” playing against bad pass rushers in PAC-12
- Jaylen Waddle – Injury issues (but he played later in year)
- Patrick Surtain – Lacks Twitch?
– The weirdest Red Flags ? of all time in the draft
Two Brothers Talkin’ Sports with a Seattle sports lean ? ?? https://t.co/4rnklWpnxI
— Brothers Talkin’ Sports (@PodThat) April 29, 2021