So based on the now official hiring of Arturas Karnisovas, one would think that ole Jimmy Boylen is out the door. NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.
Jim Boylen’s exit as Bulls coach may not be as obvious as many think. Hearing some things today. He has some big hitters in his corner still. This will be interesting. More to investigate… stay tuned . pic.twitter.com/75VAHw2OiR
— Joe Cowley (@JCowleyHoops) April 14, 2020
This doesn’t make sense at all, yet at the same time it makes perfect sense. As a head coach in the NBA, Jim Boylen has a win percentage of .317 in 123 games. In his first year where he replaced Fred Hoiberg, he finished 17-41 (.293 Win %) and the team finished with NINE wins at the United Center. 9. And apparently that checked all the boxes for GarPax (RIP) and earned him an extension. This season, the Bulls sit at 22-43 (.338 Win %), and it is now clear there is a trend. And that trend is UP.
If Jim is going to have the Doug Marrone ‘heart-to-heart’ conversation with ownership and Karnisovas to fight for his job, he needs to focus on the positives.
- Karnisovas has drafted 2 players in Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell that have both tested positive for the coronavirus. Under the GarPax/Boylen regime, there has never been a positive COVID-19 test. No one’s talking about that. Maybe Karnisovas needs to sell himself to Boylen to see if he himself is a culture fit. Karnisovas is pro-coronavirus until he states otherwise.
- He is still the only coach to my knowledge who keeps a punch-in clock at the team practice facility. Time Theft can hit a company right where it hurts, and Jimmy here has found a fool proof way to stop that. We’re in very uncertain economic times, and a small business like the Chicago Bulls needs to make every cent count.
- I know there have been plenty of instances this year where injured players were taking Effen Vodka shots to the dome at Bottled Blonde the night before a game and Boylen took heat online for it. Unfair! This team needs an Accountancy Professor on staff to teach these kids fiscal responsibility, and maybe even a field trip to 26th and California to be scared straight into maturity. And the only coach with the audacity to do that is Jim Boylen.
- Win total is trending upwards. Rome wasn’t built in one day folks. You need to walk before you can run.
- He hasn’t murdered anyone.
- Phil Jackson has 0 titles with the Bulls without Michael Jordan. 6 rings? Wow. Michael Jordan was able to win games with Bugs Bunny at shooting guard. We know who was driving the bus here. Draft me a Michael Jordan and watch me take this thing to the moon.
- Jim Boylen is pro-democracy. Remember the leadership committee? Everyone had a voice. I don’t know what kind of show they ran in Denver, but here in Chicago the people can make a difference for themselves. Jim Boylen is America.
All in all, Jim Boylen is 99.99% going to be fired, but there’s a reason why there’s that .01% chance he doesn’t. Jim Boylen is a wild card. Do you really want to see what he’s going to do if you fire him? I sure don’t.